META name="y_key" content="ec0a90a086a0f30e" meta name="msvalidate.01" content="CA382C18E8FA816C9668F8BF8FDF293B"

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hollywood's Most Under Appreciated Leading Man




Initially, I was going to write this blog post on hollywoods most recent crack at the super-hero genre, Kick Ass. However, two weeks after it's April 16th release date, I'm pretty sure you're all very much aware of the fact that it is indeed, kick ass. If you're on the fence about seeing it, go see it. It's awesome. If you don't want to go see it, then don't.

I've got bigger fish to fry today.

As the credits rolled to the otherwise very enjoyable movie, I came to an unsettling realization. The vast majority of the movie going public question the prowess of Nicolas Cage.

Now I'm all for people having their own "opinions." I'm hip, I get that we're all different. I understand the fact that just because I like ice cream sandwiches, doesn't mean that everyone likes ice cream sandwiches. But seriously, who the fuck doesn't like ice cream sandwiches?

A couple weeks ago an idiot, who I am currently considering slowly pushing out of my life, said to me, "You think Nicolas Cage is a good actor? I should smack you."

I didn't respond. I smacked him first.

Now before you throw me up on the cross, let me just be clear. I think Nicolas Cage is a great actor. (emphasis on great) Keep your Johnny Depp's and your Sean Penn's. I'll take me some Nick Cage over them any day. The fundamental problem with Nick, and the reason why he is so universally unappreciated, is because Nick Cage has the habit of starring in some AWFUL flicks.

St. Nick acts in two types of movies. On one hand you have your "Nicolas Cage Movies." These movies are not very good. On the other hand you have your "Movies With Nicolas Cage." These movies are generally amazing. His performance hinges on which category the movie falls under.

It's easy to distinguish between the two before ever stepping foot in the theater.

A Nicolas Cage Movie



A Movie With Nicolas Cage



Are we all on the same page? Good.

Now to guide you on your journey to salvation, I've compiled a small list of movies that fall under each category. This is not a list of every movie the man has ever done, just a beginners guide. I'm on a schedule here.

Nicolas Cage Movies:
Snake Eyes
Con Air*
Gone in Sixty Seconds
National Treasure series
Ghost Rider
Next
Bankok Dangerous
Knowing

*I still love Con Air

Movies With Nicolas Cage:
The Rock
Adaptation
Weather Man
Leaving Las Vegas
Lord of War
Raising Arizona
Family Man*
Matchstick Men
Kick-Ass


*C'mon it was heartwarming

Cage haters, educate yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment